The purpose of LegitOnlineCasinos.com is to present you with unbiased online casino recommendations and reviews.
How We Determine the Legitimacy of Online Casinos
Our team has been in the iGaming industry for over a decade. Each of our writers and researchers spends hours testing casinos, on gambling forums, and other review sites to determine if we should consider a particular online casino is trustworthy or not. Here are the main factors we use to decide if an online casino is reputable.
- Solid reputation – The most important aspect of finding safe online casinos is reputation. All casinos get complaints. What we’re concerned about is the severity of the complaints and if looks like that, overall, the casino has a positive reputation. Rogue casinos will often have a plethora of complaints that have to do with bad customer service and slow payouts. Those are the casinos we want to help you avoid.
- Operates under a legitimate licensing jurisdiction – Some licensing authorities are more respected than others because they thoroughly vet casino operators. Online casinos operating under strict jurisdictions such as the UK Gambling Commission (UKGC), Danish Gambling Authority (DGA), and Malta Gaming Authority (MGA) are almost guaranteed to be legit. On the other hand, with less strict jurisdictions such as Costa Rica, Antigua & Barbuda, Philippines, and Curacao, you have to do more research before deciding on the trustworthiness of an online casino.
- Good customer support — Casino support should be knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly. Any legit casino should have multiple methods for a player to contact support.
- Reliable deposit and withdrawal options — Legit online casinos offer a good selection of low-cost banking methods. And since some countries impose banking laws that ban gambling transactions, it’s important for casinos servings those countries to offer several reliable options for players to deposit and withdraw money.
- Fast payouts —We believe it should be just as easy to withdraw your winnings as it is to deposit money into your casino account. Reputable online casinos make sure players get paid in a timely manner. Unscrupulous casino operators will manipulate the amount a player can withdraw and the frequency that they can request withdrawals. They do that in hopes that players will get tired of waiting and gamble away the money.
- Fair casino games — One of the biggest concerns that online casino players have is that the casino games are rigged, over and above the normal house edge. That’s where 3rd party game auditors such as eCOGRA, iTech Labs, and Gaming Labs International, come in. These companies test the RTP (return-to-player) for each casino game to ensure they are fair. If a casino doesn’t have a verified auditing company you should proceed with caution.
- Reputable software providers – Most online casinos use third party game providers to build their library of casino games. Just like casinos, game developers have reputations. Some allow any casino to sign up and use their games as long as they pay the licensing fee, which commonly leads to them being associated with rogue casinos (see TopGame for example). Other game providers have strict guidelines for casino operators, a nice selection of games, and publish their RTP (return-to-player) ranges for their games. So a casino that uses one or more of the top casino game providers is more trustworthy than a casino that uses one of the “anything goes” providers.
- Secure website — Security is a huge concern when you’re submitting your financial information to any website, but even more so when you’re doing large deposits and withdrawals at an online casino, which may be overseas somewhere. At a minimum an online casino should be using 128 bit, SSL data encryption technology to ensure the safety of your transactions.
Are online casinos legal in my area?
Do you agree with the statement? Knowing – and understanding – the laws, regulation and tax rules is the most confusing aspect of online gambling in your country.
We sure do, but we have the privilege of trying to enjoy our favorite pastime while living in the home of the free – the United States of America.
Only 3 states have legalized some form of online gambling. Each state is different, though, adding to the confusion. Then most of the remaining states are more or less a gray area.
Who really knows what the gambling laws in each state are? Some government agencies sure don’t. The Department of Justice got it all wrong by first saying online poker was illegal. Then a year or two later they said it wasn’t.
If they don’t have it figured out, how can anyone expect you to?
Then you go to other parts of the world and online gambling is just fine. Take Europe and the United Kingdom, for example. Many of the larger gaming companies there are public companies – you can buy their stock. What’s more – players there don’t have to pay taxes.
But things are different when you head to countries like India, Australia, and Canada. Your head can explode trying to figure out what’s okay and what’s not okay in each region.
Do you feel the same way? Well, good news – now you don’t have to – we’ve already done the work for you.
The point of this page is to help you make sense of it all. To give you summaries of laws, regulations, and taxes so you have something to work with. To give you resources so you can make educated decisions about where and what to play.
On this site, you’ll find a list of all the countries we have researched. If you want to know more about a country, their states and all their laws and regulations, just click the links for the country or jurisdiction in the sidebar.